Tuesday, June 26, 2012

VIDEO #1 - Isle of Man Line & Wash by Joanne Thomas

In this watercolour lesson, artist Joanne Thomas takes you through her loose, impressionistic style of painting.

You've probably seen some of Joanne's floral videos.  Her range of landscapes is equally as inspiring and encouraging.  In this beautiful, rain-soaked scene from the Isle of Mann, Jo uses both watercolour and waterproof ink to create an image that anyone can reproduce.

Title: Isle of Man Line & Wash
Medium: Watercolour
Artist: Joanne Thomas
Level: Intermediate
Duration: 33 min

Find Out More...

As part of the build up, we'll be posting lots of free goodies on this blog. Make sure you miss nothing by adding yourself to the Priority Notification List below:

Other Lessons From Joanne
Joanne has also filmed quite a number of other lessons (landscapes, florals and figures), which will be released on ArtTutor.com throughout the the summer and autumn of 2012.

There WAS a lesson in watercolor painting of a sun flower. Is that one still available????

2. this video went to 26:07 and refused to continue till the end. I was enraptured until this

3. Thank you Joanne for this wonderfully instructive video! You are fearless! I look forward to more line and wash tutorials. Rhonda S.

4. Enjoyed this very much. More please.

5. How do I put this video in my archive.

6. Can't wait to try this. I'll keep repeating "be fearless".

7. Have been looking for a Pen and Wash tutorial for years that gives you really clear, concise instructions....thanks Joanne, its been worth the wait!

8. Great video - really encouraging.

9. Hi, I loved this tutorial! I have never tried line and wash but Joanne has certainly inspired me.
    The video did stop for a minute but then carried on to the end of a fascinating tutorial, I look forward to seeing more.

10. Loved this tutorial! Thanks, Joanne! I have your floral video and have been sharing it with friends. We are planning a "sort of" class using it!

11. I really enjoy watching Joanne paint ... I'm trying to paint loose which is a challenge for me. Loved her sunflower and the window from the previous series. This was terrific. Thanks so much.

I had the same problem. The video got hung up at the 26 minute mark.

13. Thank you for this lovely tutorial! It's very motivating and next weekend I'll definitely give it a go.
    First I had the loading problem, too. But simply click on the "reload" button of your browser and got right back to minute 26 or so and it will run to the end with no problem at all.

Thank you again for your effort!
    best,
    Regine

14. Really just interested in watercolor.

15. Hi I really enjoyed your video but it stops short at 26:11

16. Wow! This video is amazing! I want to give this a try right away. Unfortunately, the video got hung up at around the 25-minute spot, so I couldn't see the completed painting. But otherwise, I LOVED it!

17. Really enjoyed watching this. My drawing skills are not up to Joanne's standard. But it has inspired me!

18. I too lost the video at 26 minutes - darn, is this what will happen on the rest of them ????? I did enjoy what I did see, however

19. I waited and waited but it got stuck at about 26 minutes and even after about 25 minutes it was still stuck. I was so disappointed. I LOVE what I saw up until then and feel like I missed an amazing finish!

20. WOW!!, Joanne - you are "fearless". I love your style and really enjoyed this video (all the way through to the end).
    Alexandra, BC, Canada

21. This was a fabulous Joanne, thank you so much. I find it so hard to paint loose in watercolor, this was a good exercise. More please Joanne. Thanks in advance.

22. Wow! This is fantastic, thank you so much, I have books on pen & wash and enjoy doing it, so great to watch ... look forward to more!

23. this was great can't wait to try this..my system got hung up at the 26 mark also ...wish I could see the finish

24. I loved this video! I am trying to learn to paint loose, and this video really gave me some wonderful tips. Thank you!

25. Thanks Joanne, your way of instructing is very well done.

26. my system worked all the way through.
    Refreshing to learn somany tips in one sitting. thks

27. I also had a problem with the video stopping before the end.
    Loved what I saw of it.

28. A good demonstration by a good teacher. May I suggest that when the website is running, you have a downloadable pdf file that you can make notes on whilst watching the demonstration. For example in this one a copy of the black and white image with spaces around it or under it for notes. Also you could include a list of items needed or something that the presenter really wanted you to remember.

29. Am so excited about Art Tutor. Joanne is so enthusiastic and explains so well. I have tried line and wash, but now I realize how stilted it was compared to her way of painting. Will definitely be painting along with her. Look forward to the florals.

30. Thank you for the video, I love your style and I can't wait to give it a go. I also loved your floral dvd. Thank you so much Joanne.
    Jeanette
    Australia

31. I was fortunate to see the whole video. It was so inspiring. I love the way Joanna visibly enjoys what she is doing. I have even found if I ´imitate´ her seemingly uncontrolled gestures that it does a lot to my own painting. It is really loosening my otherwise cramped style.

Helene
    Sweden

32. Thanks for the great demo. I purchased her Florals lessons and truly enjoyed them.

Will this be a line and wash course only or mostly a watercolour one? I hope it will be line and wash, that is sorely needed whereas watercolour lessons are a dime a dozen -- and the best is still your Watercolour Secrets, Bob!

Also, will the printable drawings be provided, as for the Watercolour Secrets course? I found that really useful.

33. Dear Joanne,
    Thanks for this lesson of Line & Wash. I am looking forward to the winter when I have more time to try this all out. Amazing what you can do with some paint and a pencil!
    I enjoyed already looking your dvd of the flowers. Difficult to choose between oil, acrylic, pastels or watercolor, but I think I prefer the watercolor because of the surprises you get while painting.
    Looking forward fot the coming video's.
    Maud.

34. Wonderful technique - I've never considered trying this before as it seemed too regimented but now I can't wait. Looking forward to more videos... thank you!

35. I absolutely LOVE this lesson!! I especially love your enthusiasm while painting! It's so very inspiring!! I have been waiting and watching and following the Art Tutor concept since the first email from Bob and I am very glad you are a part of the group! I can't wait for more videos from you. Your style is very different from mine, I'm a bit stiff, so I am excited to give it a go and try your style out for a change!
    Sincerely,
    Maria.

36. Thanks for the videos line and wash. It has inspired me to have a go. I engoyed both Isle of Man & Choir. Lookin farward to much of the same.

37. I also lost it after it was nearly finished! I refreshed but of course it starts from square one again. Very enjoyable though.

38. Great line and wash video. Well done even tho it stopped near the end, but then continued.

39. THIS IS JUST WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR! THANKS SO MUCH, JOANNE FOR THE CONCISE, EASY TO UNDERSTAND TUTORIAL. I CAN'T WAIT TO GIVE IT A GO.

I TRIED TO GET THE OTHER PAINTING OF THE POPPIES, NOT THERE. HOPE TO SEE THIS SOON.

THANKS A BUNCH,
    JOAN

40. It would be very very helpful to have a lesson or two on shadows. I find myself very challenged in putting in the right shadow and layers of shadows to almost everything I do. I am never sure on the size of the shadow or the placements, of shadows on let's say animals, furniture or people. Shadows give a painting (for me water color, pen and ink and colored pencils) grounding and dimension. I feel lost in this area.
    I have purchased your entire set Bob and it's great- but the whold shadow thing and using them to create realism is still a mystery.
    Thanks!
    Barb from Boston, MA

41. I have been enjoying Joanne's wonderful floral lessons and was so happy to learn more form the line wash lesson! She has so much fun painting and her lessons make you feel the joy in painting. Thank you so much for your inspirations!
    I am truly looking forward to more!!!!

42. Love your DVD on watercolour florals. I am self taught and am learning through your vidio the tricks of the trade.

Thankyou
    Jeannie Allen

43. I loved watching this and really want to try this loose style. I've tried watching it two days in a row and it hung up at 26:11 for me both days too. I'll keep trying because I would love to see the end.

44. I want to try this too.
    Never done this before, but I liked what I saw on this video.
    You're way of painting with pen and wash is fabulous.
    I have to practice a lot, but its worth the try.
    Thanks from The Netherlands.

45. Thanx for sharing your style and expertise. a very helpful tutorial.

i only miss the opportunity to download the video which was added in Bob Davis's website.

thanking you

46. I really enjoyed watching this - I want to give it a go as I feel I need to losen up - thanks for a valuable lesson on bing free and fearless Joanne.

47. wonderful, how can i watch the video? I failed to access it.

48. I'm so glad I found this site. This is going to be amazing. Most watercolor tuts are only about 5 mins. I am looking forward to many hrs of instruction. Thank you for Art Tutor.
    Kathy

49. I really enjoyed the tutorial. You have inspired me to try the "Line and Wash".

50. Truly inspiring! A joy to watch!
    Renate, Namibia

51. Excellent tutorial. You have fired my enthusism for line and wash. Thankyou.
    Kerry.

52. Very good tutorial! I started to think in doing a go! Elías from Puebla, México.

53. Thank you so much for the work you put into this most inspirational video. I can't wait to try it. I am still a little lost reguarding lighting .. reflection and shadow ... how long \deep does one make them/ It can make all the difference in ones finished work. Thank you again, ... look forward to more. =)

Carole, Canada

54. Like a student told me at a lecture not too long ago: Can I take you home Joanne????
    I absolutely LOVED this video!
    Abby

55. Looks like fun; however, the video refused to continue after 26 min. Otherwise, I am inspired.

56. I needed some motivation and this WILL DO THE TRICK. A real stumbling block for me was getting my painting to flow. Thanks so much!

57. I love the videos and receiving the tutorials. I have not been motivated in about a year to paint, but watching these is giving me some inspiration and motivation to once again try and paint with watercolors.
    Thankyou
    Dottie

58. Thank you Joanne, this is a relatively new skill for me and I found your teaching method excellent. Look forward to more of your work. Janice

59. Hello everyone... a few people above have mentioned about the video stopping at 26 mins. I'm not sure if that was a temporary problem at YouTube.com. It can also be down to your web browser )for example Internet Explorer has several add-ons that can interfere with YouTube videos. Here is the link to watch Jo's lesson directly on YouTube...

60. This comment has been removed by the author.

61. I absolutely love your videos, Joanne, and I am loving this site! So excited about ArtTutor! Thanks to everyone involved!

62. this promises to be a hit with me!

63. Love the Line and Wash, veido, and learned a lot.
    Thanks

64. I have been wishing for a video like this,loved it

65. Will there be more line and wash instruction videos? I found it extremely interesting and would love to see more!

66. Thanks Joanne, for such a good demo.
    Hope to see more lessons like this..With Line and Wash.

67. Very pleasing and interesting and valuable instructions, Joanne!
    As a matter of fact, line drg is one of my favourites too.And I am going to follow you and add loose colours. Thanks a lot. Looking forward to more videos.
    B.Narayanan

68. I did one of the Line and wash, challenge.
    e-mailed it in, like they said, never received any
    confirmation that they received it, like they said they would
    do in 24hrs?
    Has anyone else did this?