At ArtTutor.com we hold lots of things in high regard: art (you'll be pleased to know), tea breaks (with biscuits) and improving.
Improvement is the backbone of ArtTutor.com - we wouldn't be here if we didn't think you could use it to get better!
We have lots of ways to help you do this: the instruction (you can see some of the videos in our last post), the supportive community (more on that shortly), and our monthly challenges.
We'll be running competitions every month (with real prizes!) to give you a bit of an incentive to get your paints and pencils out and see what you can really do!
So to give you a little taste of what's to come we've created 3 challenges for you to have a go at. There's a real incentive too - we'll choose 3 winners per challenge and they will each get a voucher for $50 dollars (or the equivalent in your currency) for a major online art store.
Challenge #1: Movement
Gavin Mayhew's art is inspired by movement and he's been sharing some of his expertise with us. Watch his video - An Introduction to Movement in Art (Part 1) - and have a go at recreating one of the following two images using his techniques.
Challenge #2: Watercolour Line and Wash
Joanne Thomas is a fantastic watercolourist and her loose style has proved really popular with those who bought her DVD on Expressive Watercolour Florals. Watch her video - Watercolour Line and Wash - and then have a go at one of the following images using the techniques she talks about.
Challenge #3: Palette Knife
Bob Davies has been hard at work on our foundation courses because we think it's really important that you have a good grounding of the basics. Watch his video on using a palette knife, and then use the techniques to have a go at one of the following mountain scenes.
Ok, so if you're interested, here's what to do:
- The closing date for entries is Sunday 8th July. We'll announce the winners on Monday 9th July.
- E-mail us a photograph of your artwork remembering to state your name and which challenge you are entering.
- Send all entries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We'll reply within 24 hours of receiving your entry just to confirm we've got it. If you don't get a reply, send us it again (you may have mistyped the e-mail address).
- Please include your full name in your e-mail.
- We only accept one entry per challenge but you can enter all of the different challenges if you want.
- We'll create a gallery of all entries on this blog, which we'll update every day.